Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/radioyachting/www/kiwitalk/smf/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
New Marblehead

KiwiTalk

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Marblehead  (Read 16038 times)

martyn

New Marblehead
« on: April 09, 2006, 03:00:50 AM »
I am about to start building a new Marblehead. It will be built here in Spain where I am currently living but will be returning to NZ mid 2007. I have been trying to decide what sort of rigs to use, swing or shroudless seem to be the two main options, but are there any others? Can anyone suggest the best place to buy rigs?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline ZERO LIMITS

• Council
  • Sailor
    • ultralite Radio yachting
re Rm rigs
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 11:13:52 PM »
Hi
These days on new Rm .Arig is swing and others are std rigs.

I can supply you carbon tube mast sections or tapered mast sections.
refer to Ultralite web page on this site.
thanks
Tony

What and whom design is your new Rm??

Offline IanHB

• Sailor
    • http://wryc.wellington.net.nz
New Marblehead
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 03:33:51 PM »
Hey Martyn, are you with "Team NZ" or one of the others in Spain?
I know it is all "secret stuff" but we would be interested to hear some of the news that is unclassified if you are able and willing.

Also interested in progress on the RM? :?:
Do it NOW, before it`s too late!

Offline IanHB

• Sailor
New Marblehead
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 12:44:37 PM »
Don`t know if this will work but I will give it a try.
It`s a link to a German site with pictures of an off the wall RM similar to the Roger Stollery design.
It may even be the stollery design because I can`t read the text.

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/attachment.php?s=a759bea3941d13448aebe47fba68dba5&attachmentid=24741&d=1147174569

Offline IanHB

• Sailor
New Marblehead
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 12:46:02 PM »
What is the current state of the art RM here in NZL?

Offline GJB

• Rookie
What is the current state of the art RM here in NZL?
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 01:53:16 PM »
The marblehead class is to my knowledge only sailed at 2 clubs in the North Island, Waikato and  North shore

I am a member of the Waikato club
We currently have about 20 active members
We sail every Wednesday afternoon and every 1st 3rd and 5th Sunday at Hamilton lake.
Turnout is usually between 8 and 12 boats

We have a 50/50 mix of conventional and swing rigs

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
  • Enjoy it To-day..Tomorow is a long way away.
    • http://nautic12.org
r/ms
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 09:55:31 PM »
graham this must make your club tops in r/m membership ?
give us a nice 4/5 knot breeze and we will visit with the Nautics again.
unless otherwise stated views are my own.
bob Atkinson rtd

Offline ancient one

• Sailor
Marbleheads
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 06:45:50 PM »
I don't want to inject to much here but could I make a suggestion here. I'm trying with a lot of other people to get Old Marbleheads started in Australia. You , our good mates have in your country literally oodles of Marbleheads that are virtually sitting under benchs, up in attic etc etc doing nothing but gatheringg dust. other clubs in NZ are sailing Marbleheads as 10 raters and stuff.

Why don't you consider doing something with all these old boats , like in Vintage Marbleheads. We run these because of the Age differences on a handicap basis. If some of you don't know, this Handicap racing is a fun sport and is developing into (in some ways) a very social way to race model yachts. It can open doors for both old and young skippers to compete together in the one event on equal footing.

Quite alot of the older blokes say what they miss most to R/C sailing is the freindships they developed, years ago. That the hard racing and big expense took it 's toll on doing it for FUN.
ld enough to know better, to young to resist.

Offline ancient one

• Sailor
Marbleheads for the true believer
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 09:55:46 AM »
Well Ancient One , you can't complain about the company you keep in this Marbs forum, can you ? You haven't even got to tell them about all the good things in the class or even how the Marbleheads have it all , trouble is they can't see it.

Here is your chance to get into a really exciting class to say your the first with all this new style and there are no takers?

Offline ancient one

• Sailor
Even Muzza would be there!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 12:02:50 PM »
Well here is the crunch !Imaybe talking to myyself here , although I doubt it but there must be somebody in NZ who is interested in Marbleheads?

In the last couple of days I have heard that there has been a few offers going about with people wanting to sell  new Ms from your country. Keels and all those other things that go with them. So there is something going on . Now I would have thought the the people doing these Ms would at least be getting on this forum to tell us they are still breathing and building?

If we leave it for the "next " bloke , there may not be any classes left to sail. Some of the other classes only have to 'Hick Up' and they are history too.

This world is in need of a cheaper variety Marblehead. We have been the route of the expensive ones and quite frankly it does not work , like that, Yep there are quite a few around but there is only one winner in a race!

The Marbleheads are so good , the Australian ones had there Nats recently and they got to 27 entries so something is happening.

Is there anyone in NZ who sails Ms or have they all left and just not turned the lights out?

I have an idea that another Worlds Championship in Marbleheads will be 'at a country near you soon'. And here is a golden opportunity to do a Worlds in these exciting boats.

I bet even Muzza will come and do it, won't you Muzza?

Offline Muzza

• Rookie
New Marblehead
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 01:54:55 PM »
I could be tempted Steve.

Here we go…

1.2mm ply – “stitch and glue” construction, which for these boats just means you tape the chines together on the outside with duct tape (temporarily) while you glass the inside of the chine joints.  Anything light for a deck.  A little judicious use of carbon (nothing too expensive), and I’m there.

1,220mm on the waterline at 4.1 kg sailing weight (good for our conditions up here).  1,285mm on the waterline at 4.55kg sailing weight (better for NZ).

Reckon I could throw the hull together in a weekend.

Of course 4 carbon rigs tends to push the cost up a tad.  I read an article somewhere about making your own carbon tail booms for RC helicopters.  I might have to revisit that and work on making some carbon masts. ;-)

urray B
Kiwi in exile
IOM USA 274

Offline ancient one

• Sailor
Marbleheads
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 06:35:40 PM »
hey Muzza, That looks like a hard chine German boat version. Is this your latest? Did you build it with carbon?

Offline Muzza

• Rookie
New Marblehead
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 06:36:04 AM »
It's a concept only Steve - one I drew about August last year I think.

It's not based on any other design.  The design parameters were simple - come up with something that would displace about 10lbs/4.55kg (with appendages), with centres that remain pretty much static through to 40 degrees of heel, and which could be built out of thin light aircraft ply in 5 panels (which can be cut from full-sized patterns using just a Stanley knife) and assembled quickly and cheaply without the need to get into more sophisticated but time-consuming building techniques.

We can buy big enough sheets of light aircraft ply here such that I can get the panels out of a single sheet (just) without having to worry about joins lengthwise.  Cost of the sheet - $12 - $20 USD depending on where you shop.  The materials for the fin (2 layers of unidirectional carbon opposing slightly, plus a suitable carbon weave on top) would actually cost more than the hull.

I'd use carbon sparingly within the internal structure to keep weight down and give the hull shell rigidity where required.  Care would be needed to keep epoxy down to the minimum required to wet-out.  It should be possible to build it to weight.

She might lack a little bouyancy in the bow.  I might introduce another chine high in the topsides, that can be flaired outwards in the forward 25% of the hull to provide additional bouyancy when the bow buries.

Competitive? - nah - its not really intended to be.  But it would hold it's own in a club fleet, be cheap and easy to build, and would allow me to go play with the Marblehead boys locally and have a bit of fun.

A Hitec 5475 and sail arm, such as I have in my IOM, would have enough "grunt" and would be cheaper than an RMG.

If I can find the time, I might just throw it together before the northern summer, build an A rig, and see how she sails.

Oh - I reckon No.8 fencing wire should do for the rudder servo linkage eh? ;-)
urray B
Kiwi in exile
IOM USA 274

Offline ancient one

• Sailor
Marbleheads
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 10:54:47 AM »
Gees Muzza , we are out of fencing wire No 8 , we had to fix the tractor last week.

I have noticed at my favourite Hobby shop that they have been selling flat thin sheets of carbon of late. Could this be used? Or do you subscribe to Ply? What would the difference(in weight) between Carbon an that thin Ply?

It  would be lighter if I just put stringers in and no frames, right?

Offline Muzza

• Rookie
New Marblehead
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 12:34:34 PM »
Absolutely (with regard to frames).  As you know yourself, chine hull shells are remarkably stiff anyway.  The chines are under tension (I guess) and, even without any internal structure, they do not tend to "wobble" about like a nice round bilge hull fresh off the mould.  The internal structure can be minimal, other than where it is required to hang something off or take a load.

As for whether you could use pre-laminated carbon sheets for the chine panels - you betcha.  You could use any appropriate fibreglass laminate.  Would they be lighter?  Depends on the laminate.  My thinking with light aircraft ply was only that it is low cost, easy to work with, and fits with the idea of getting a quick-build low-tech boat on the water.
urray B
Kiwi in exile
IOM USA 274