Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/radioyachting/www/kiwitalk/smf/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
PROMOTE THE SPORT NOT THE CLASS

KiwiTalk

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PROMOTE THE SPORT NOT THE CLASS  (Read 13371 times)

Offline robmcP

• NZ Skipper
  • Rookie
PROMOTE THE SPORT NOT THE CLASS
« on: September 15, 2008, 09:40:28 PM »
These comments are based on personal experience and are therefore only my feelings and thoughts.I have been involved in RC sailing for the last 3 years Firstly with a Seawind then an EC12 and Lately my Nautic 12 although my first boat was a Marblehead in the mid 80,s Bought from Modelair in Newmarket Auckland.Prior to this I was involved in RC gas cars in the international 1/8 and 1/10 classes both of which I competed with in 5 National events NZ wide The classes I raced suffered from the same problem as RC yachting in that no shop really supported them.With the result that growth was very limited.I find it very disturbing to see RC sailing doing nothing to promote the sport! What I mean is this, the established classes are so protective of there own territory that they dismiss other classes as irritations instead of working together or as a group to encourage growth.How often do the different classes get together or even give up there normal activities to promote the sport as a whole? What classes get involved with hobby shows or local events to improve the sports profile.When I started sailing the second time I new nothing about were sailing took place or when.By accident I found that Seawinds sailed on sunday in Auckland and therefore joined them.From there I was taken to quarry lake and saw the Nautics sailing and got involved with them firstly with an EC 12 and then a Nautic 12.What I am trying to say is that the sport as a whole is in trouble we have to get new people involved.If it means that we have to do promotional activities then we as a group must make ourselves available.Also we must stop the internal bickering that is prevalent on most of the websites.As a sport we must do our utmost to promote the sport at every opportunity   

Offline forcefour

• NZ Skipper
  • Sailor
    • http://www.golfview.co.nz
Re: PROMOTE THE SPORT NOT THE CLASS
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 12:04:53 PM »
Rob - My comment in - EC12/Auckland 2009 - also applies here.

The idea of mixed classes at the same venue has merit in theory, but unfortunately does not always work in practice where there is limited water space available. Also frequency availability is often a problem.
During my term as Commodore of GHRYC we tried several open regattas which attracted good mixed class entries. We sailed three courses within each other for the various boats e.g. Electrons course A, Seawinds & Yamahas course B, and IOM course C.
We also tried running relay races with a boat from each class making up a team. These formats were both popular initially but ran out of steam. We also tried to generate interest in the Nautic 12 (I owned one for a short time!) by inviting them to participate in a relay day.
Our club now has mainly IOM's with a regular fleet of 15-20, and a smaller fleet of Electrons, both fleets sail on separate days by their choice.
After the above experience I believe it would be very difficult to regularly sail mixed classes at the same venue & time except for a specific promotional event.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 12:31:23 PM by forcefour »
Force Four

Offline robmcP

• NZ Skipper
  • Rookie
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 01:02:26 PM »
The point that  am trying to get across is this.There needs to be a willingness to promot the sport as a whole not just a persons favourite class.The upcoming Auckland Anniversary weekend is a case in point.Use it for what it is.It is an opportunity to promot the sport .Its a 1 day event it should not really be considered as a race day but as a sport promotional day.If you had 3 or 4 different classes sailing at the 1 event it would be good for the sport.The worst thing to do would be to hold your days sailing out of the public gaze at a traditional site were you don't get the exposure to the public.

Offline forcefour

• NZ Skipper
  • Sailor
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 02:14:53 PM »
If you are genuine in your last posts intention, why was it that your initial posting on N12 site was for an exclusively N12 regatta on Akd. Anniv. day as the only class sailing in the viaduct basin?
You later extending the invitation to include EC12's in a posting in the EC12 section of this forum.
Why were you not pushing for an RC promotional day open to all classes of RC yachts?
If it were to be a non competative open day for all classes what format would you propose to retain the interest of all participants?

In my experience in sailing both big boats and RC models, if you put 2 yachts on the same piece of water competition ensues. The Auckland anniversary day regattta has always been about a day of competetive yacht racing.

For me personally the experience last year of combining the IOM's and N12's in the viaduct on Anniversary day was no where near as enjoyable as the previous year when the IOM's were the only participants and had a very successful day.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 02:59:09 PM by forcefour »
Force Four

Offline ec12nz

• Sailor
    • http://www.ec12.co.nz
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 05:22:56 PM »
Running multiple classes on a day such as Anniversay Day at 1 venue can be nothing but good for the sport in general.

As has been said - everyone wants there own particlular chosen class to be the only class. Working togther promotes growth.

Multi fleets are easy - 1 course staggered starts = either Mark Foy style or fleet 1, then fleet 2 etc - no different to big boats with different divisions going off a few minutes apart.

Using this day as demo day rather than out and out cut throat racing can only benfeit interest. Why not set up long courses around a larger party of the viaduct rather than small windward leeward tracks. This would be like harbour racing big boats and put many on display at once. Make long multi mark tracks or multiple laps and it will look like the many classes any weekend on the harbour.

More a windling style of sailing but 2 boats of like are always going to race aren't they! I know when I used to sail big boast up and down to the BoI that any sail on th horizon was a target to cathc and pass and any coming from behind was one to stay in front of ::)
As to frequency issue's - is this really an issue now-a-days or an excuse?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:27:45 PM by ec12nz »
Chris
EC12's
NZL1, NZL110 & NZL128
IOM
NZL666

Offline robmcP

• NZ Skipper
  • Rookie
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 05:45:44 PM »
In reply to the question regarding Why do I call it a Nautic 12 event I call it that as that is what the Auckland anniversary regatta committee promote  in there program.In regards to the timing of the invitation to the EC12 class it was posted the same day as the announcement on the nautic site.All so the intention has and will always be to include wherever possible other classes .Already I have a commitment from micro magic skippers to send some boats I am also trying to encourage seawind / etnz boats as well as the tamiya whitbread 60 boats.As the 1 meter boats and Townsend boats have there own venue there has not been the need to invite them the only other class to decide if they wish to participate are the marblheads.I cant think of any other classes in Auckland to try can you?Also through discussion the event will include fleet racing by class as well as match racing if possible dependant on numbers.Can any one out there think of anything more that could be done at this event to promote the sport?If you can let me know.

Offline robmcP

• NZ Skipper
  • Rookie
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 05:56:42 PM »
I would also like to point out That the reason the 1 meter boats have decided not to sail in the viaduct has more to do with the delays experienced last year during the tug boat parade and the time lost waiting for Michale Hills launch to dock  than any delay caused by 2 classes sailing together.As Force Four is well aware the 2 classes last year had alternative races and generally there were no problems.It is obvious that Force Four has no interest in promoting the sport! But is only interested in racing his chosen class!

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
  • Enjoy it To-day..Tomorow is a long way away.
    • http://nautic12.org
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 06:12:10 PM »
1 mte...........Ec12............marblehead............Nautic12..............Micro Magic  i have owned and sailed 5 classes types of radio controlled yacht,
my favourite  ??? the one i happen to be sailing at the time,its the fun of learning how to get the best out of each boat i sail If i win a race good if i loose a race (more often than not) i still enjoy the sailing Mention has been made of the cost i know that as well not so long ago 3 skips from Auckland  found our way as far south as Nelson.So well done Rob. ;D ::) :-*
unless otherwise stated views are my own.
bob Atkinson rtd

Offline forcefour

• NZ Skipper
  • Sailor
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 07:34:06 PM »
Only interested in sailing my chosen class! - Please reread my post - Reply#! - especially the comment about when I was commodore of GHRYC and my and my committees, efforts to promote all classes of RC yachts.

I have owned and sailed a Yamaha, Electron, Nautic 12 and IOM, so I think my interest has been across a few classes.

As for my lack of interest in promoting our sport please think back to who it was at the viaduct last January that called the parties together to get volunteers to form a committee to run the NZRYA. An organisation that up until then looked to be heading for recession.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:38:25 PM by forcefour »
Force Four

Offline robmcP

• NZ Skipper
  • Rookie
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 08:29:29 PM »
Well done on the things you did in the past ;But what are you doing for the future? ;)You may have done great things in the past but the sport is evolving and needs continued effort.I still cant understand why classes like the 1 meter would choose to vacate the viaduct on anniversary day and the exposure it provides in favor of Wattle farm.Obviously that venue is better for racing But is defiantly a step in the wrong direction as far as promoting the sport as a whole.That's the point I AM trying to make.I am not trying to belittle anyones efforts but it pains me to see RC  sailing heading down the same path as a lot of other minority sports those people who are already involved need to realise that growth is the key to a successful sport.If only we all could be as fortunate as Christchurch in having there sailing venue in the centre of Hagley Park growth would be easier to obtain .But in Auckland when we spend most of the year hidden away from public gaze it is criminal not to take advantage of the 1 day a year when we are able to get that much needed exposure .I would be very interested to hear how the 1 meters propose to grow the sport there attitude to anniversary weekend seems very self serving to me

Offline robmcP

• NZ Skipper
  • Rookie
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 09:08:05 PM »
As for the response from the E C 12 skippers I fully appreciate the costs involved as previously I competed in national championships in both Christchurch RC cars and Lytelton in R class dinghy's .But the hope is always there that a skipper might be in Auckland and if they are my boat will be available even if I spend the day as a spectator.Also I would like to commend the Seawind sailors at Onepoto domain Auckland.These guys have available every sailing day a club boat for interested spectators to sail this shows a desire to grow there class and sport as a whole

Offline liza095

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 10:25:09 PM »
I totally agree to you all guys.

Offline k4s

• Sailor
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 08:04:37 AM »
Sailing in bigger boats,keelers and trailer there was very few occasions that I raced in one design fleets.Nearly all the racing I have done has been in mixed fleets of various design and size boats.
Handicaps while frustrating at times allowed larger fleets and higher participation at events.
The more knowlegable amongst the crowd here can possibly work out a time correction factor for the various classes of boats to even out the performance around the track.Probably be an easier task than big boat handicapping as the RC boats are generally one design within their own class.
A system like this could be applied with broad strokes,ie all IOM rate x,all Nautic12 rate y,all MIcro rate z  etc etc.These ratings could of course be tweaked on a club by club basis as seen fit,but if a Nautic or EC or whatever arrived at an IOM fleet it could be accommadated in the racing on a known(broadly)basis.
Gets a bit complicated at the finish if timing has to take place as boats cross the line.This could be made easier if "Mark Foy" starts were used.
Food for thought?
Free time actually costs more
Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802

Offline k4s

• Sailor
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »
Well its been a while for this topic...So anyway....Tauranga is having a mixed fleet weekend this Saturday.All classes/types are welcome and will be accommodated according to race officer Graham's discretion.
Proposal is for one startline and multiple top marks.Could lead to mayhem maybe,but will lead to alot of fun and laughs.
So far Electrons,Seawinds,IOM's,Marbleheads,10 Raters and one off boats will be taking part.
Come along and enjoy the day,maybe get to sail another class of boat and meet some new people involved in your chosen recreation.
No entry fee's,now where do you get something for free these days?
Multi hulls are welcome too,would be great to see a few of these on the water.
Get down to the lake and promote your sport/hobby.
Free time actually costs more
Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802