Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/radioyachting/www/kiwitalk/smf/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Gulf Harbour Radio Yacht Club

KiwiTalk

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gulf Harbour Radio Yacht Club  (Read 13938 times)

Offline forcefour

• NZ Skipper
  • Sailor
    • http://www.golfview.co.nz
« on: May 12, 2006, 04:35:14 PM »
GHRYC has an agenda to promote our sport in every way possible. We currently race 5 classes (IOM, Nauti12, Seawind, Whitbread and Electron) however we welcome anybody with a radio controlled yacht.
In the spirit of promoting our sport we have recently concluded an Affiliation with the Gulf Harbour Yacht Club and on the 20th June will be holding an "Affiliation Challenge Relay Regatta" at Regency Lake, Gulf Harbour.
Teams of 5 skippers from each club will compete sailing a series of relay races utilising each of the classes raced by GHRYC.
The concept has created a lot of interest and should result in a great fun days sailing with many vocal supporters on the sideline from both clubs.
The event will also be promoted in local press and on local radio
Force Four

Offline IanHB

• Sailor
    • http://wryc.wellington.net.nz
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 03:09:16 PM »
Well Done Sir.
It does my heart good to read of people with drive and ideas, promoting the sport and not just sitting around grizzling about no one to race with.
Any support that I can offer either as an indervidual or with my "official " hat on is only a question away.
Best of luck for your event which sounds like a lot of fun. :D
Do it NOW, before it`s too late!

Offline forcefour

• NZ Skipper
  • Sailor
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 07:00:52 PM »
It is interesting to me that most clubs appear to have seperate sailing times/days for the various classes of yachts, whereas at GHRYC we encourage all members (and interested others) to join in whenever we are sailing.
We sail Tuesday, Thursday,Saturday 1.30 to 4.00pm and Sunday 10.30 to 12.30.
Today for example we had 2 x Seawind, 3 x Yamaha, 8 x IOM and 1 x Nautic 12. all sailing at the same time and enjoying each others company.
With everyone concious of the sailing rules, and importantly, tolerance and understanding being shown to the 2 novices sailing we all had a most enjoyable afternoon (which in fact did not finish until after 5.00pm).
As an aside it was interesting that in the up to 5 knots of breeze the Nautic 12 was finishing in the top 3rd of the IOM fleet.
Force Four

Offline forcefour

• NZ Skipper
  • Sailor
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 07:09:37 PM »
A correction to the date for "The Affilliation Challenge"
It is to be held on 10th June NOT 20th as previous post showed.
The interest from both clubs is excellent. In fact 3 of the Yacht club members that have never sailed a R/C yacht before came down today for a bit of sneaky practice and were so taken by our sport they were part of the reason we did not finish until 5.00pm today.
Force Four

Offline forcefour

• NZ Skipper
  • Sailor
Gulf harbour radio yacht Club
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 03:41:03 PM »
What a great success our afilliation challenge was.
20 competitors, 10 relay races each of 5 laps of a windward/leeward course, 5 different classes of yachts in use, 25 yachts on display, and about 100 spectators that came and went during the day, even though we had some good squalls and one heavy downpour of rain, every body stayed on to the end, then a good number retired to the GHYC clubrooms for a few drinks.
The result of the racing was 5 wins each so we have already received a request for a return challenge next summer!!!
Excellent feedback has been received from the novice R/C skippers and some interest expressed in getting involved with our sport. Most new skippers were surprised that control was not as easy as they had thought it would be, but were excited by the closeness of racing and tactics involved.
Force Four

Offline forcefour

• NZ Skipper
  • Sailor
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 10:07:51 AM »
Gulf Harbour Radio Yacht Club now has a new web page in the Gulf Harbour Yacht Club site.
For up to date information on our club activities refer    www.ghyc.co.nz   and scroll down to Radio Yacht Club
Force Four

Offline maverick

• Sailor
    • d'12metre radio yacht
Re: Gulf Harbour Radio Yacht Club
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 10:48:56 PM »
Quote from: "forcefour"
GHRYC has an agenda to promote our sport in every way possible. We currently race 5 classes (IOM, Nauti12, Seawind, Whitbread and Electron) however we welcome anybody with a radio controlled yacht.

What a fantastically good attitude and approach to this sport! Especially when the GHRYC encourages everyone to sail together.

I have yet to visit your site but will do so asap. If the answer to my coming questions are on your web-site don't bother answering as I will get the answer off your site, but if not, may I ask, when all the classes sail together how does that work? i.e. Do you race? If so, do you handicap in some way or scratch race? But the most important question of all is, does everybody have fun without the need to get seriously competitive?

I am very interested in how GHRYC does its thing as it seems to be right on line with my own interests and philosophy and the interests of the group of guys I sail with.

Regards,
Don
maverick
-------------------
Alias - Don Leitis

Offline forcefour

• NZ Skipper
  • Sailor
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 10:21:41 AM »
Hi Maverick, Thank you for your interest.
I started this topic whilst I was Commodore and responsible ( amongst many other things) for communications. I am afraid I cannot respond to your questions as new Commodore has asked me to leave ALL future communications to him and as far as I know he is not a subscriber to this forum.
Force Four

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
  • Enjoy it To-day..Tomorow is a long way away.
    • http://nautic12.org
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 06:49:19 AM »
loosing the commodor,s position in a democratic way is understandable
loosing the ability to answer questions is not ?perhaps you could try for retrospective rule changes seems the thing to do these days.
unless otherwise stated views are my own.
bob Atkinson rtd

Offline maverick

• Sailor
    • d'12metre radio yacht
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 08:44:14 PM »
Quote from: "forcefour"
I am afraid I cannot respond to your questions as new Commodore has asked me to leave ALL future communications to him and as far as I know he is not a subscriber to this forum.

Hi forcefour

Like Neptune said, it does not sound rather democratic that you can't answer questions asked directly of you. I mean, I would be absulutely gobsmacked if any members of the group I sailed with did not try to answer to the best of ther ability, any questions related to their hobby that were asked of them. All I can say is that the new Commodore's edict, request?, is unfortunate and does absolutely nothing to promote the sport outside your own group it would seem.
maverick
-------------------
Alias - Don Leitis

Offline IanHB

• Sailor
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 01:51:31 PM »
Forcefour, would it be possible to encourage the new commodore of Gulf Harbour Radio Yacht Club to sign up here as a contributor. :?:

This site is rapidly becoming a window to the world for the radio yachting sport in NZL.
It is run in conjunction with Alan`s site and gives instant access to all who take the steps to register as a member.
We have a large number of "Lurkers" who keep an eye on activities and so keep themselves informed as to the state of the play in this country.

Clubs such as GHRYC have an opportunity to publicise and inform interested parties about their activities, at  NO COST to themselves.
This is just one of the benefits provided by the New Zealand Radio Yachting Association, to which the Gulf Harbour club belongs.

If your commodore is not a "forum fan" then the managment committee should be encouraged to appoint a "Communications Liaison Officer" who would be tasked with posting here all that your obviosly go ahead club is up to.
From previous history that officer IMHO should be you, forcefour, as you have proven to have the skills and the interest.  
You have my vote anyway. 8)

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
  • Enjoy it To-day..Tomorow is a long way away.
    • http://nautic12.org
Posting
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 03:01:35 PM »
Ian h-brown,
                   Forcefour might well be walking the plank right now !
 Small mercy the lake is not that deep.Jim Boy may have handed on the black spot ready ! ooiii shiver me timbers ..................
[/
color]
unless otherwise stated views are my own.
bob Atkinson rtd

Offline maverick

• Sailor
    • d'12metre radio yacht
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 06:15:46 PM »
Quote from: "IanHB"
If your commodore is not a "forum fan" then the managment committee should be encouraged to appoint a "Communications Liaison Officer" who would be tasked with posting here all that your obviosly go ahead club is up to.
From previous history that officer IMHO should be you, forcefour, as you have proven to have the skills and the interest.  
You have my vote anyway. 8)

And for what it's worth, you have my vote as well! 8)

Whilst these forum pages are dedicated to the NZ scene, there is a proven interest from other parts of the world as well. We can all learn from each other.

My own interest is in getting a good system going for the group I sail with in order to increase our enjoyment of the sport even more than we already do. If we can benefit from experience, even if it is from across the Tasman  :), then the sport will be all the richer for it. And if we don't have to reinvent the wheel, why waste energy doing that?

You seem to have a good system going yet you can't tell anyone about it. Just dang don't seem fair to me. :(  Sssshhh - did I hear the word Mutiny? Hope not. :)
maverick
-------------------
Alias - Don Leitis

Offline IanHB

• Sailor
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 07:14:40 PM »
Ian h-brown,
Forcefour might well be walking the plank right now !
Small mercy the lake is not that deep.Jim Boy may have handed on the black spot ready ! ooiii shiver me timbers .............................[/
color]

What an earth does that mean?:?:

If you are saying that forcefour has been repremanded for his postings here then say it.
If you are saying something else then please make it clear exactly what it is you are saying.
We have enough trouble with forum posts being taken to mean other than what the contributor intended and ending up in a shitfight.
Please help me to understand what is ment. :oops:

Offline forcefour

• NZ Skipper
  • Sailor
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 08:02:19 PM »
Thank you all for your interest and comments.
To clarify a couple of points 1) GHRYC has a club rule that the Commodore can only hold that position for a maximum of 2 years. My 2 years ended at AGM in August so new Commodore was elected and I took up position as Past Commodore and continue as Treasurer.
2) In my past life I produced our newsletter, and generally did most of our communications. 3) We recently had a new member join us who had expertise in Web sites and is webmaster for GHYC. 4) Whilst web surfing ealier this month I noticed he had added a page on GHYC site covering activities at GHRYC - this was something I had been pushing for some time but none of our members had the knowledge or expertise necessary. 5) Although still being a committee member I was not aware that a web site was being developed. 6) In my excitement at finally seeing a web page up and running I sent an email of gratitude to the webmaster and sent an email to all our members advising them of the existence of this exciting development as nothing had been advised or circulated by our committee. 7) For sending this information out I was reprimanded by the Commodore and asked not to communicate on behalf of GHRYC, all future communications were only to be made after approval by full committee and would be originated by Commodore.
Hence my reluctance to now make comment under the name of GHRYC
P.S. It is of interest to me that the news articles on the web page are all from my postings in this forum.
Force Four