Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/radioyachting/www/kiwitalk/smf/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Another good day

KiwiTalk

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another good day  (Read 68226 times)

Offline k4s

• Sailor
Another good day
« on: May 10, 2009, 06:12:30 PM »
   Just spent a day racing with the guys from Tauranga,another bunch of good people.
The venue was at the new lakes subdivision,just off the main highway from the Kaimi's to the Mount.Very good lake with plenty of room and an elevated sailing position.In fact you could stand at water level,about 6 feet above or move right up to the grandstand probably 10 feet higher again.All within something like 40 feet of the lake edge.
   The day started at top end of A rig and quickly reached B rig,around the time the count down started for the first race.I sailed the A rig along with one or two others,fleet of 6 and 7 boats,for this race and learnt about being overpowered and out sailed by boats with the RIGHT rig up.I'm fairly sure I was getting into RC Yachting not RC Submarineing :D

Early lunch called while everyone on A rigs downsized.
   With all on B rigs the racing got serious(kinda)with many close shaves and bunch mark roundings.The wind stayed in this strength pretty much all afternoon,never really dropping far enough to be serious about changing back up to A and with some wicked bullets across the course from odd directions.
Those that picked the shifts on the upwind beats did well with the occasional bolter getting the right side of the course and a huge lift into the top mark all alone as the fleet stayed close to the reeds on the far side of the lake.
   Lots of races in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere,Thanks guys,both my brother and I apprieciated the day.
   All should make the effort to spend a bit of time here,only a couple of hours drive for a fun day in a new venue with new people.Racing looks like its most Saturdays,hope to get a programme soon and will post it ,if thats ok with the Tauranga guys.
 Richard

Free time actually costs more
Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802

Offline k4s

• Sailor
Re: Another good day
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:51:25 AM »
Gulf Harbour turned on a challenging day of sailing Saturday afternoon.Very light and shifty.At one stage I think I went from hard on the wind to flat running and every point of sailing in between 3 times on one leg.
    Sailing was at Regent(?)lake and a good turn out of 9 or 10 boats with a few late comers joining towards the end of racing.
     Learnt some good lessons about settings for the rig in this type of wind.
     Racing was under handicap with staggered starts.Awfully frustrating to be parked up in zero wind at the first mark while the later starters came flying down the lake on a new gust.These boats can make a lot of noise thru the water when your sitting on a mirror.There was the occasional win by a big distance(if you called all the shifts and dodged all the holes you were away.
     Congradulations to Karl for getting thru so many races in these conditions with only the wind getting any sour comments.
      One finish had every boat in the fleet finishing within about 5 seconds or so.It felt like the start of a race rather than the end.
     Another good day.
Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802

Offline k4s

• Sailor
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 09:02:29 PM »
Tauranga here we come.
         Saturday sailing at the  lakes was set up early as an A rig wind,top of the range however.This became fairly obvious quite quickly and B rigs were called for early,everyone went to Bs so the fleet stayed even.
         Wind was strong and reasonably consistant with some oh oh sized bullets ripping through the fleet.Those that handled or perhaps survived these made some good breaks on those of us that decided that boat ballet was a far superior sport than mere yacht racing. 8)
          With the wind coming close to straight down the lake a nice long leeward to top mark beat was able to be laid.This saw split groups of boats that arrived at the top mark on opposing tacks at speed.This was a lot of fun ;D
           8 or 9 boats on most starts.Some green thing that is apparently, not snot was the one too beat. :oThanks for the turn sailing this Alec,I got a perfect example of the difference rig and sail settings being correct or as in my case,close but no cigar make to boat performance.
           Alec was down from Auckland and showed one and all what fast is.I have to admit I had a sneaky look for a propellor at one stage.
           I hear theres some more from up north thinking of a trip to Tauranga soon.Well worth the effort I think,for a day of relaxed yet at times intense sailing .
           So, another good day.

Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802

Offline k4s

• Sailor
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 02:19:22 PM »
Pics
Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802

Offline k4s

• Sailor
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 02:56:32 PM »
pic
Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802

Offline k4s

• Sailor
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 03:01:38 PM »
pic
Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802

Offline k4s

• Sailor
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 03:26:23 PM »
Hopefully this will show the lake from one end to the bridge.Sailing is done a little to the right of the concrete culvet.
Helmsmen sail from the path mostly with the option of down by the water or up at the same level the pic is from.
Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802

Offline k4s

• Sailor
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 07:51:48 PM »
    June 20th.Tauranga,Lakes venue.
          Well the day started light and built to the top of A rig as a pretty constant wind.A few shifts to be had but all in all very fair and even course.Laid by master oarsman Ken Fox.
A nice long up wind beat which gave sailors the choice of sides to sail and plenty of tacking practice.
           Around a dozen boats at the line for every start.Most where conservative starboard end starts as this was the obviously best spot to be.I know this as my attempt at a port start from the port end resulted in a beautiful crossing of the starboard tackers and a magical tack to weather of the fleet.The one down side to this was my position of dead last.!
Oh well sometimes you have to try these things. :P
           Roy and Alec were there to represent the Northern guys and showed the fleet how it is supposed to be done.A wake up call to the rest me thinks.From the comments I overheard the regular Tauranga guys appriciated and are very welcome too all and every visitor.
          At lunch there was a bit of magic around(of the black sort)which resulted in sail trim being improved across the whole fleet,thanks Alec.
          The afternoon racing became close and willing with bunches at the marks and many boats crossing the finish line together.An awful lot of fun.
           Alec also enticed a few Electron sailors over from Papamoa.They grabbed the controls for a few races and were right in amongst it.It looks like the electron fleet will make an appearence in the not to distant future.This will be a mighty site,IOMs and Electrons racing in the same piece of water.Dont miss this event.
          There was however some confusion at a few crossings and mark roundings as people suddenly realised they were controlling a different boat than there usual one as boat swapping became a feature towards the days end.Smiles all round.
          Sunday dawned clear,warm and just too inviting so Dad and I returned to the lake for a seceret session.We sailed for an hour or so until he had to leave,so I headed to Papamoa and found the Electron guys going at it.Cool boats.Very different to sail than an IOM.
          Once again I watched for a race and then for the next two or three I was handed controlls and told,your sailing the red boat,the sail with F on it and another I'm not sure of but seemed to do what I wanted it to.Thanks guys for a truley enjoyable time.
           Oddly enough there was that blackmagic in the air at this venue as well.Alec seemed to be out front of the fleet again.I think we all may have to gang up on him.
         So all in all another good day.

PS     Who else sailed,how about a report from where you played?
         Travelling and sailing different venues is great fun and the people are welcoming everywhere Ive been so far.Join in and this sport will grow by leaps and bounds.

Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802

Offline ec12nz

• Sailor
    • http://www.ec12.co.nz
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 09:41:06 AM »
Okay Richard - we played as well on Sunday ;)

Kapiti Coast - great venue we now use - old oxidation pond (like Wattle Downs) that is 65,000 sq m - and then there is the spare pond next to it at 60,000 sq m.

It was cold blustery southerly when we rocked in about 1pm. 5 Ec12's and my IOM (My 12 is away getting a birthday re-paint) started the afternoon with B rigs. By mid afternoon the wind had died to comfortable A rig but as all were cold no changes were made and an early finish around 3.30 to head home for a rum in front of the fire.

As usual all was relaxed with official results kept but plenty of joking between the sailors - particularly when a couple decided to use a different set of start marks to the rest of the crew  :P ::)

Anyone coming down this way with any boat is welcome - 1st and 3rd Sunday each month at 1.00pm - if weather dodgy get in touch with me first.

Chris
EC12's
NZL1, NZL110 & NZL128
IOM
NZL666

Offline Browny

• Council
  • Sailor
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 04:51:13 PM »
If your looking for a good day, come sail the pristine waters of WATTLE DOWNS, CRYSTLE CLEAR WATERS, WEED FREE, FRIENDLY HOSTS. START TIME IS 1PM TILL 4PM. DONT MISS OUT ON THIS LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE. :D ;D ::) CHEERS BROWNY.

Offline Browny

• Council
  • Sailor
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 05:18:52 PM »
I forgot to mention in all my excitement, its this Saturday dont be late. Cheers Browny.

Offline k4s

• Sailor
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 05:37:11 PM »
Does the clear nature of the water mean we all have to paint our keels and bulbs? :D
Anyone from south of Taupo looking at going,Im heading up Saturday morning around 8.30 or 9 am,your welcome to jump on board.
Planning on being back in Taupo sat night but may stay for some sailing at Smales on Sunday if that is going on.
Weather dependant of course.
Richard
Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
  • Enjoy it To-day..Tomorow is a long way away.
    • http://nautic12.org
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 05:38:54 PM »
  DONT MISS OUT ON THIS LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE.    CHEERS BROWNY.
it certainly got me plastered pretty quick ;D ;D ;D
unless otherwise stated views are my own.
bob Atkinson rtd

Offline k4s

• Sailor
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 01:04:02 PM »
Well the wind in Tauranga was forecast to be quite pleasant and pick up a bit from the south or south east direction in the afternon.I guess the wind wsn't involved in the conversation when that was decided. :-\
What the dozen or so sailors contended with was very,VERY,light and swirly zephyers of breeze coming from all directions of the compass with no way of picking the next direction.
So courses to race were decided with respect(although respect is possibly the wrong word by the names I heard the wind called)to where the wind was coming from at the one minute warning.Length of course also was called at this time.
The wind was good,straight up the lake so off we went on a long course.By the top mark the leaders got round and started to reach for the wing,glass!!!The reach becomes a run and the tail end fleet is looking golden,calls of here we come where common ;DNow the wind is port tack hard on.not so golden,oh,now its starboard tack with no boat heading change........you get the picture ::)Somewhat frustrating,but very character building. 8)
With light to no wind, short courses where called.Start,20 metres to the top mark,a short wing or spreader mark then down,or up or both to the bottom mark,around 50 metres from the top and back to the finish.Supposedly a beat,a reach,a run and another beat to the finish,Yeah Right.Still these where over with quick and the next start was called as the last boat finished.Suprising amount of fun with these "sprint" type races.
A couple of extended long races to end the day where all the most distant marks where used.These had lead changes due to incrediable sailing skills and shift calling abilities of some.....or was it just the wind giving and then taking away >:(
All in all another good day sailing.
Oh and there was this big,bright,shiney thing in the sky.Rumour has it that its always there but hadnt been seen in an age.
Yes the sun was out and it felt like summer(almost).
Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802

Offline k4s

• Sailor
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 11:23:14 AM »
Tauranga turned on another good day this Sat,sun was out,no clouds so it was warm,tee shirt weather.Steady breeze after the usual light morning puffs.
I got the schooner on the water and spent an hour lost in history,magnificent the way these things look on the water and just so relaxing.Threats were made of keel hauling and pirate warfare.Seems like there may be a few old americas cup replicas being dusted off and rebuilt for later meetings.Talk of one of those two hulled things being taken out of mothballs as well.Its all good.
  The day started with the news that the developer of the subdivision in which the lake sits is fully behind the sailing community.They have agreed to supply all the materials for a ramp(walking)and platform to be built free of charge.The RC sailors are to have a working bee in the next few weeks to construct the launching platform and access way.Big thanks to the developers,I only wish I could remember who they are:(.Support like this should see the continued growth of participation at this venue.A passer by was handed a transmitter and sailed most of the afternoon,Thank goodness for spare boats.
   Anyway on to the sailing...Breeze built to the top of A rig for a few races,but was comfortable A rig strength for all but the last race when it decided enough was enough(most of the skippers had enough as well)and died off to very light.Perfect for derigging with out stays and sails being flicked around at the carpark.
   The wind was straight down the lake and a loooong beat from the bottom to top marks was set.Enough shifts  to bring tactics as to which side of the course was best,rather than just follow the leader.Split fleet racing with port/starboard crosses occuring on every beat.
    Mark roundings were generally a group activity and a few contacts between the lead boats gave those following the opportunity to go round the outside and come out level for the reach to the wing mark.Lots of positioning for the inside track,.gybe and decide which gybe to be on for the run to the bottom mark.Again split decisions with lots of port,starboard encounters while gybing down wind.Did I mention the length of this course.....around the bottom and nearly every boat had someone close enough for covering tacks to be employed.Almost like match races within the fleet.Great fun.
   A fair bit of boat swapping as the day matured with some funny calls being heard..."Up you come Mike....I'm no where near you....Your right beside me,up you go.......No way I'm in front of you.....come on Mike up you go....Ah Foxy,your sailing the other boat....!!!!!!SH#T,roars of laughter,bloody good fun.More than a few perfect mark roundings being made by boats that someone else was controlling:)
   So all in all another good day...oh and the AllBlacks won,and didnt the Ranfurly shield stay put,and the mighty Bay is still on top.
K4s
Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802