Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/radioyachting/www/kiwitalk/smf/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Another good day

KiwiTalk

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another good day  (Read 68926 times)

Offline ec12nz

• Sailor
    • http://www.ec12.co.nz
Re: Another good day
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 08:57:14 AM »
Wanganui yesterday 9 EC12's in the first leg of the Brent Charman Memorial Trophy. 3 Wanganui, 1 Wellington and 5 Kapiti boats.

Weather picture perfect with light A rig all day. 16 Races fought closely at times wih races averaging 12-14 minutes. Incidents between boats were few and far between which made for a pleasant day with plenty of banter between skippers.

Return leg at Waikanae 29 November.
Chris
EC12's
NZL1, NZL110 & NZL128
IOM
NZL666

Offline k4s

• Sailor
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 09:26:14 AM »
Sat 5.9.09 Tauranga.B rig all day,although there was one A rig for a few races.After control problems,especially down wind this was changed down to the B rig of majority choice.
Lots of races,all closely contested.Numbers down a bit from what has become a growing fleet.9 boats at most start lines.During the day however one sailor turned up with his boat who hadnt been seen for a year or two,sailed fast and left with the comment he will be back.Also a prospect of a new racer was handed a tx and raced Kens spare boat.Disscussions on purchase and continued involvement.
All in all something is being done right and a growing number of regular sailors are turning up ready to race.
For those who want a low stress fun activity to fill a saturday afternoon just turn up,no reservations needed.
Sailing is every Saturday from around 11am to 4,although we had about 5 "LAST" races and didnt get away until around 5pm on sat.
Bring your lunch and join the chat at the lunch break.
Free time actually costs more
Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802

Offline k4s

• Sailor
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 10:31:51 AM »
It rained in Tauranga this saturday.
Got cool too.
Course was set by the time I arrived and some 11 boats on the water.Good turn out for a changable day weather wise.
Nice long beats,100metres approx from bottom to top mark.
Wind was a bit unsteady and resulted in some good gains for those that read the shifts right,or as in my case "lucked "into the right side of the course.
New sailors on the water again,the fleet is growing...there was even a bit of talk about perhaps getting a bit of publicity going in the local papers.
Very few retirees during the day.Weather was crap and rain around mid day so lunch was called.A popular spot on shore was hiding under the vans open tailgate.At one stage the owner couldn't get under.He made the mistake of doing some tweaking to his boat and was relegated to the rain.
The showers passed and back to the water for a full afternoon of racing.Good close stuff.
Not sure how many races were got through but,some batteries died so it must have been a few.My eyes were feeling the strain by the time the day was finally called at about 5pm.This was of course after numerous last race calls were made and ignored...Oh come on just one more.
Also talk of perhaps keeping some finishing results.Any ideas along this thought process...every race day....one a month...series....what works at other venues.
I heard my thoughts echoed at one stage about not getting wet when sailing model boats like you did in the real thing....people seeing a bunch of guys standing out in the rain in all sorts of wet gear by a lake must think we're all mad....little do they know.
Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
  • Enjoy it To-day..Tomorow is a long way away.
    • http://nautic12.org
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 05:35:28 PM »
Your keeness is to be admired  :)
unless otherwise stated views are my own.
bob Atkinson rtd

Offline ec12nz

• Sailor
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 06:47:59 PM »
A FANTASTIC afternoon on the pond at Waikanae with Wellington crew turning out as well. 6 IOM's and 7 EC12's in a light A rig breeze.
Chris
EC12's
NZL1, NZL110 & NZL128
IOM
NZL666

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
  • Enjoy it To-day..Tomorow is a long way away.
    • http://nautic12.org
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2009, 07:55:12 PM »
nice venue.
unless otherwise stated views are my own.
bob Atkinson rtd

Offline ec12nz

• Sailor
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 08:15:14 AM »
nice venue

It is indeed - 60.000+Sq m  ::) constant depth of about 1.8m, no weed and the largest of the multiple courses we have is approx 190m from top to bottom mark which allows for some great long beats. And there is the "spare" pond which is about 55,000 sq m next to this one  :o. Shame we aren't allowed to use it at the moment with works going on around it - damn the council ::)

This is the venue for 2010 EC12 Nationals as well.
Chris
EC12's
NZL1, NZL110 & NZL128
IOM
NZL666

Offline k4s

• Sailor
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 08:35:33 AM »
Thats a great spot alright Chris.
Is this the same place the IOM nats will be held?
Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802

Offline roy

• Council
  • Sailor
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 11:03:37 AM »
Is this the same place the IOM nats will be held?

No Richard, Wellington have declined to hold them this year, the Seaview venue is no longer suitable for a Nationals and the trees on one side of Waikanae proving a little troublesome (hopefully the Council will listen and they can be removed in time for 2011).

So where are the 2010 IOM Nationals? May be closer to home than you think Richard :) Expect an inspection party sometime in the next two weeks.

Offline k4s

• Sailor
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 12:34:06 PM »
Trees are good,hope the council thinks long and hard before chopping them down.Hate to live in a barren wasteland!!!!
Besides whatever advantage/disadvantage they give to sailors is equal and up to the skipper to deal with.There you go ,showing my greeny side:)
New venue for the nats?????Tauranga possibly????
The posts are in the lake now ready for the decking to go on for the launching platform so things are starting to look very nice over that way.
Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802

Offline ec12nz

• Sailor
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 02:57:23 PM »
trees on one side of Waikanae proving a little troublesome

Maybe misinformation Roy - yes they can be slightly disruptive in a howler of a northerly but 95% of the time no isses at all.

Trees are good,hope the council thinks long and hard before chopping them down

These few trees are old, unmaintained and have started falling down so are becoming dangerous. Only about 100 trees in total out of 1,000's in the area.
Chris
EC12's
NZL1, NZL110 & NZL128
IOM
NZL666

Offline roy

• Council
  • Sailor
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 03:12:06 PM »
Chris,

The WRYC were sufficiently worried about them to decide not to go ahead. In the end it was their decision.

Offline k4s

• Sailor
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 01:14:11 PM »
26 09 09   Sailing in Tauranga for all that are keen..Some from Auckland are planning on being there.Give Roy a call...he seems to have details:)...
Sailing starts around 11am till 4 or 5 or whenever...Low key and enjoyable.
If coming from Hamilton direction(over the Kaimais)stay on the hiway till you get to a large round about at the bottom of a hill.Go around this and take the3rd left exit to the LAKES subdivision..continue to another round about and go left again..follow this road up hill to yet another round about.Straight thru will take you between two hills and the lake will appear on the right.Go right and along the side of the lake..about half way to the bridge...This is where the sailing takes place..
See Ya There.
Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802

Offline k4s

• Sailor
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2009, 10:16:39 AM »
Rained in Tauranga on Saturday........then it rained some more......and more....etc etc.
Anyway,there was sailing done.
At one stage I counted 17 boats on the water and a couple still ashore,so a good turnout on a less than pleasent day.
Racing was a bit of a lottery with wind changes and the occasional wind strike where it refused to participate.Usually coming back with a totally different direction thus creating havoc with some skippers course plans.
Not a full day for me as the rain got the better of me and I went visiting family.However my Dad who said he would be there shortly didnt turn up for about 2 hours.Seems there was some good sailing to be had after I left,,oh well never mind.
Posts for the launching area are in position with a temporary deck laid.This gives an impression of the end result,Due to the rain however access to this area was thru something called MUD,we dont get that in Taupo.This will be solved when the path is gravelled so the story goes.
Another good day even with somewhat crappy conditions.
Richard Batchelor
IOM  NZL743   NZL802

Offline ec12nz

• Sailor
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 07:45:47 AM »
WAIKANAE - Sunday AM - 8 EC12's turned out in total to help Brian and I in our last tuning session before heading to the USA on Wednesday for the Morgan Black Regatta.

Perfect A rig conditions allowed us to have approx 20 starts and short sprints in a 2 1/2 hr session which proved valuable with both Brian and I making many tweaks as we get used to our new sails and some rig mods I did in the last week.

I will do updates from the US as we will aslo be at the US J Boat Nationals in Sacramento next weekend.
Chris
EC12's
NZL1, NZL110 & NZL128
IOM
NZL666