Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/radioyachting/www/kiwitalk/smf/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
The Canterbury J Class

KiwiTalk

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Canterbury J Class  (Read 7469 times)

Offline IanHB

• Sailor
    • http://wryc.wellington.net.nz
The Canterbury J Class
« on: April 04, 2012, 06:26:15 PM »
I have recently moved house and now live in Masterton. The local sailing venue is Henley Lake, which is, in my humble opinion, potentially one of the best sailing venues in the country. They have the same old problem faced by all fresh water venues in NZL, at various times of the year, weed growth. The Canterbury J class would seem to be the solution, having as some of you will know, a full keel similar to the EC12. The Canterbury J class is currently not affiliated to the NZRYA  I understand, which is a shame, as I would suggest that both sides would benefit from such an association. 
I have bought a hull shell to build up as a full on racer and also a complete boat because I want to get in the water quickly. Are there any other visitors to this forum with a CJ in the shed?
Do it NOW, before it`s too late!

Offline eee cee twelve

Re: The Canterbury J Class
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:54:10 PM »
Hi Ian,
I am new to this, signed up today! I have a J in the garage, a good wee boat too in the right hands. Very maneuverable, my favourite is the EC12 though.
Cheers
Chris
EC12'S    36  50  92  146

IOM NZL 888

Offline IanHB

• Sailor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 06:29:42 PM »
Hey there Chris, were do you live my friend?

Offline eee cee twelve

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Hi Ian, sorry I'm in Christchurch. Where the ground moves.  :)

IOM NZL 888

Offline IanHB

• Sailor
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 12:37:02 AM »
Thanks Chris, do you know of any Canterbury J`s for sale at the moment?

Offline eee cee twelve

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 08:01:27 PM »
Hi Ian Yes there is one on the Christchurch model yacht club website, other than that there may be another I would need to check up with the owner.

IOM NZL 888

Offline IanHB

• Sailor
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 06:46:37 PM »
I have now taken delivery of Canterbury J # 196. Here is a photo I took on Saturday in very light winds.
We sailed again today with a much better breeze and I am very pleased with the boat.

Offline vege_nz

• NZ Skipper
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 09:52:35 PM »
The real strength of the Canterbury J Class is already showing up at Victoria Lake...that strength being weed beaters.(Similar to EC12s....for Rod's benefit  :-X) Last week for example we experienced very strong nor-west winds here Chch in which caused many twigs, branches and leaves to deposit themselves in wait in the water for the long finned IOMs to grab hold of. Needless to say we unfortunates sailing those IOMs had to, on numerous occasions watch the Js sail off into the distance while we IOM skippers tried to manouvre our boats close to the shore so to free those darn twigs :-[. Often remarks from smug J skippers were heard :P. To make it even worse in the lighter winds the J's momentum was keeping them in front of most of the fleet :-[ . But of course get a decent puff and the IOMs (less weed) would show them their sterns. What I am really trying to say is that the Canterbury J is an excellent all-round boat with many strengths and it is a pity more people from around the country have not yet cottoned on to them. Ian...maybe you should become the voice of the North for the class ;D. Question:- Does the name CANTERBURY J put you off?? Should the class name be changed to New Zealand J? Food for thought. :-X

Offline GAR Tauranga

• Sailor
    • Tauranga Radio Sailing Club
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 07:45:23 AM »
Hi Vege,
Great report, please keep them coming on what you are up to.
Canterbury J is a great name !
Twist the boys arms to get the other South Island clubs to affiliated to the NZRYA and your J class asc too.
From there we can spread the word and put information on the website about the Canterbury J's.
How and where to get them.  We cant wait to come down for a IOM South Island Champs soon.
Have fun, Graham, Tauranga.   http://radioyachtingnz.wordpress.com/news/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 07:33:50 AM by GAR Tauranga »

Offline vege_nz

• NZ Skipper
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 04:57:39 PM »
G'day Graham,
I am an avid fan of your wonderful website and even had the good fortune of experiencing the hospitality of your club members at Tauranga in early January this year. Thanks for your encouraging words regarding the Js... I believe them to be a great little boat even though I have recently sold mine to a NEW model yacht sailor. Even my IOM has been sold to another NEW radio yachtie but ..ahem.. I have just bought another and have a couple of hulls lined up. Like you my aim is not only to foster the IOMs AND Js but most importantly encourage new people into the wonderful hobby we enjoy. It is in my blood as I only started the 'radio' part of the hobby early last year with a J after 50 years in the wilderness since sailing free sailers at Vitoria Lake back in the late 50s. Things have changed a little I must say. At this stage I am concentrating more so on the IOM class personally simply because there is outside competition which unfortunately does not exist yet for the Js but I am sure once the class spreads not only around the world as it is at the moment but also in NZ then things will alter. The website for the Canterbury J has a substantial demonstration on where to get the hulls from and how to build a boat. Of course there are always boats for sale here in Chch...check the Chch website http://christchurchmodelyachting.org.nz/
Will probably see you at the Murray Roundtree regatta...there is a team forming from down south  ;D . Beware of a man named BRUCE E. :-X

Offline IanHB

• Sailor
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 06:13:55 PM »
Hey there Vege, thanks for your input. I have absolutely no problem with the name "Canterbury J "
I think it conveys the heritage of the class and distinguish`s it as a particular version of the J class yachts which have been modelled at all sizes over the years.
By the way, J #202 which was for sale on the Christchurch Club site has now been sold and is sailing here in Masterton in the capable hands of Gordon Blackwood.
A concern I would have, is the governance of the class in the international sense. Keeping control on the expansion as it blossoms worldwide may be a challenge with the design not officially recognised by the NZRYA.
I am happy to push the movement anywhere I can.
To that end, if any reader here knows of any Canterbury J sitting around unused then please let me know as we have potential new owners here in Masterton looking for boats.
My dream is to host the 2015 Canterbury J national championship here in Masterton. ;D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:16:05 PM by IanHB »

Offline eee cee twelve

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 10:14:07 PM »
Hi Ian, Just read your reply to VEGE's post. they are a great little boat, and some of our top sailors have been tweeking them and getting great results.
I have a J just sitting in the garage that has been doing nothing for the  past 6 months because I have been concentrating on my EC12 and IOM.
If any one up there is keen then send me a PM with contact details and I will forward photo's and further information if required.
It has foam deck, smartwinch etc. A good boat in the right hands.
Cheers
Chris

IOM NZL 888