Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/radioyachting/www/kiwitalk/smf/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
entry level yachting

KiwiTalk

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: entry level yachting  (Read 12445 times)

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
  • Enjoy it To-day..Tomorow is a long way away.
    • http://nautic12.org
entry level yachting
« on: July 09, 2012, 10:09:30 PM »
attracting new members,ideas please.
unless otherwise stated views are my own.
bob Atkinson rtd

Offline GAR Tauranga

• Sailor
    • Tauranga Radio Sailing Club
Re: entry level yachting
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 06:50:01 AM »
Hi Bob,

Easy, let everyone know to be in Tauranga on Saturday on the 21st July 2012 between 11am to 4pm
and come have ago...

Then between 4pm tp 4.30pm on the 21st July 2012 in the Tauranga Lakes carpark
they can Buy the extremely Cheap IOM to get started

FOR SALE – Saturday - 21st July 2012
International One Metre’s (IOM’s)

Liquidation Sale - Make any offer, you might be surprised

•   (NZL 4) World War II -  sail away with a B Rig Only – any offer considered around $100

•   (NZL29) 2.5 dogs -  sail away with a A & B Rig – any offer considered

•   (NZL 54) Denniston II - sail away with a A & B Rig – any offer considered

•   (NZL 58) V1 sail – sail away with a A & B Rig - any offer considered

•   (NZL 85) Carnel sail away with a A & B Rig - any offer considered

•   TS2 - sail away - any offer considered around $1,500

•   EC12 - sail away - any offer considered around $2,000

•   (NZL 59) DM2 - sail away with a A & B Rig - any offer considered around $2,700

Other items will also be there like;
•   Custom wood Reggae mould (same as what John is sailing) $50 ono
•   Bare Hulls
•   Reggae deck shell $10
•   A Rig Sails $5 each
•   Sail Box's
•   Cradles

Pick up & Pay between 4pm to 4.30pm on Saturday 21st July 2012
At the Tauranga Lakes car park

Also we are expecting 30'ish IOM's on the water on the 21st .
Maybe a Team Tauranga club photo shoot over lunchtime, weather permitting.   
We hope you can make it down for this day of fun and entertainment with heaps of newbies having fun.

If you would like or are interested one of the above yachts,
please come and talk with me today...

All the best

Graham Roberts
www.ohope.co.nz/iom/
iom(at)ohope.co.nz
0274 514 240
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:11:37 PM by GAR Tauranga »

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »
This site must be cheaper than Trade Me.
yes that approach may attract bargain hunters,but for the poor unfortuates who do not live in the Taurange area this is not the answer.Now if you could bottle the zest you have that may do the trick.
bob Atkinson rtd

Offline vege_nz

• NZ Skipper
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 12:18:07 PM »
Hi Bob,
Maybe you should try inviting members of other model radio clubs to your lake to have a go at sailing. 2 of our most recent members are both model aeroplane enthusiasts (and this is in the last 6 weeks) who have taken to the our hobby like ducks to water. Lets face it, we are all similar as far as twiddling the knobs to make our machines go we might be pleasantly surprised at the result. Of course you could always have yourselves an earthquake that empties your lake and that encourages people to come down to see the result when it is finally fixed... it seems to have worked for us  ;D. If you live near the coast why not invite members of a yacht club to come have a go...and make sure you point out we don't get wet  ::).
Cheers, Vern

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 12:55:28 PM »
Thanks Vern,
                     we have tried inviting other clubs and other classes of RC models.
Our club has members from AC cup teams.Perhaps a few Open days could help.My idea of an entry level yacht was with such a yacht any person may sail the boat,as apposed to lending an expensive yacht to a complete novice.  A club boat or two could be the answer ? As there is spare boats at Tauranga perhaps a deal could be made ?I am prepared to give time to refit and repair those yachts that need it.
bob Atkinson rtd

Offline GAR Tauranga

• Sailor
    • Tauranga Radio Sailing Club
Entry level yachting Formular
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 07:29:52 PM »
Hi Bob,

I think your question is easy to answer.  A little harder to achieve

Achievable if 100% of your club members set this as there goal too

I only know from my experience on what I wanted to achieve from our sport. 
Something to do each weekend that was Fun & I love

Yes Team Tauranga Zest has been our answer!
We have a great team of people who are all passionate about our sport and enjoying each session. 

When I left home on the 7th September 2009 and headed down the lakes,
TOO WATCH Ken Fox and the boys race their model yachts.   I was already sold.
 I already intended to get into racing model yachts,
I just did not know what type.

A controller was forced into my hand as soon as I turned up
I spent the afternoon racing with everyone on one of Ken’s IOM’s.

Below report on Kiwitalk from Richard B – This was my Day One experience
http://www.kiwitalk.radioyachting.com/smf/index.php?topic=498.msg3144#msg3144

If I had not enjoyed that session,   I would not be racing IOM’s now
I would have gone and found something else to past the time.

Since then I have introduced a number of my friends into our great sport.
You never know - That one member might bring in another 10 new members..

Ken, Alf, John, Gary, Bruce, Bernd, Steve, Brett, Mike & Richard all looked after me on my 1st session
No one yelled, scream or did anything stupid that day.  I really enjoyed my 1st DAYS RACING

Later that week I went to Ken Fox’s place and he sold me his new IOM he had just finished building.
The next Saturday I was racing that IOM that I now owned and still do NZL 54. 
Ken now had to build himself and new yacht.

So I think the Team Tauranga Formula is currently this

•   Let people know where you are via newspaper, internet, and word of mouth.

•   Ask everyone watching have they come down specially to see model yachting.

•   If yes - Force a controller into there hand and leave them along for ½ an hour with minimum amount of coaching    (Leave them alone to enjoy it!)

•   Make sure everyone in your club encourages them and controls there behaviour!

•   Sell them the right yacht for them.  Do they want to Racing? or just Cruising around?

•   Don’t forget to thank everyone in your team for helping get one new member.

Three years later Tauranga Club will have at 36+ paid up club members in 2013.

You should be able to help one newbie each month get hooked on our great sport

Please Remember - newbie’s don’t know any sailing rules for the 1st six months
So please sailing accordingly, no yelling or sighting complicated rules, Keep it simple.

Spectators don’t come back if you yell and scream at each other on Race day. 
Why would they?

Tauranga October 2009 October http://www.ohope.co.nz/iom/091024.html
Tauranga June 2012 http://www.ohope.co.nz/iom/saturday%202nd%20june%202012%20030.jpg

Hope this helps,
One member of Team Tauranga crew

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 05:45:33 AM by GAR Tauranga »

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 09:48:12 PM »
A very good reply.
should be read by every club member.
A good  document to be acted on by every one with an interest in the sport.
bob Atkinson rtd

Offline hiljoball

• Rookie
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 05:40:10 AM »
If someone wants to go motor racing, they don't jump into an F1 car - they start out with go-karts, and migrate to open wheel.

I think that clubs should operate two classes - an entry level class and an advanced class.

I have experienced several clubs create growth and involve new sailors by choosing an entry level boat and run group building projects. Some newbies lack confidence and knowledge and a group build provides that leadership and knowledge transfer.

Locally we sail IOMs. If a potential candidate shows up, we put a Tx in their hands and get them sailing. But then they hear about the costs of an IOM and some lose interest at that point.

My thought is that we need to select an inexpensive entry level class so that the entry costs can be kept down. But we need to create a sailing environment for them too - and that means that we have to have to support the entry class too - and sail them on a regular basis. As the newbies become more experienced (and hooked) they will become self sustaining and/or move up to the more advanced classes.

An entry class can be an inexpensive kit boat, such as a Victor Soling 1M or MM or similar.

I have been involved in club projects of a locally made kit produced by a team with a mold to turn out 'at cost' hulls and decks, and assistance with fittings and rigging. This technique allowed us to create an 'instant' new class of Marbleheads in Toronto some years ago, and more recently the technique helped create the local IOM fleet.

John
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 06:07:13 AM by hiljoball »
John Ball
CRYA # 895
IOM V8 CAN 307

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 12:27:24 PM »
Two things strike me from the replies so far.
A radio transmitter was placed in the newbie,s hand
;2;cost .
Time i would think (of the builder)would be the major cost correct me if I'm wrong,of the boat.
having an entry level class of yacht would not i think undermine the present pricing system.More members should result in a larger market for the other boats being built.
Would a Co-op idea work in NZ ?
bob Atkinson rtd

Offline K2

• Rookie
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 07:58:45 PM »
 :) :) It is simple, the answer is the RG65, we have not been sailing a lot with the boats lately. I guess preparing for the Auckland Champs etc. is why. But keep it in mind, once it warms up a bit we will have regualar sailing at Gulf Harbour.
So have a look at our new website, and start building your own boat or come a long and try one of ours. Not expensive and a lot of fun. Easy to transport etc.

Regards

NZL12
www.rcmodelboatyard.co.nz

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
The RG650 . Could this model be a contender for entry level sailing,almost a mini marblehead with its swing rig.transportable,affordable easily rigged. :)
bob Atkinson rtd

Offline vege_nz

• NZ Skipper
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 11:50:20 PM »
A great boat for entry level is the Canterbury J and for more reasons than one. Firstly I want to make it clear I am not an owner of a J as I recently headed off into the world of the IOMs and have sold the J boat I had to a NEWBIE sailor. They are relatively cheap to build in that first and foremost the fibreglass hull as supplied by the registered builder of the hulls costs less than $200. Secondly there is HEAPS of information available on the net on how to construct one eg http://canterbury-j-class.org.nz/ let alone numerous forum sites. These boats are really starting to take off overseas in both the UK and USA let alone the over 200 boats that have been built here in Canterbury. By building the boat yourself you have a lot of control over how much the end product will cost you by the fittings etc you use. Weed is not a problem with these boats as they were designed in the first place to overcome that problem which we in Christchurch experienced pre earthquake. So NO hangups in the weed like the long finned boats. Speed wise they can trouble the IOMs in light weather so they are rarely disgraced in club racing. It is certainly worth looking at the website just to see how easy they can be to built (although I have never built one myself). Mailing the webmaster at http://christchurchmodelyachting.org.nz/ to express interest in purchasing or building a boat could also prove worthwhile.

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 12:29:51 AM »
The Canterbury 'J' Class

Radio Controlled Model Yacht

The Canterbury J is a project to let existing, or newcomers to the sport of radio sailing to get started quickly with a good handling model yacht that is easy to build and cost effective. Additionally it has ease of transport and a good resale potential.

The J is a 1.22 metre (48") yacht with a main and foresail rigged to a 1.6 metre aluminium mast.

Over 200 hulls have been sold and they are to be found in all areas of New Zealand and some as far afield as the United States and Canada. It is a one-design yacht and all hulls come from a mold owned by the Canterbury J Association with an identification number molded into the hull.

It is not uncommon to see up to six yachts approaching the finishing line at the same time, particularly in light airs where the J's ability to glide on and on in a slight puff of air drives owners of other classes of yachts nuts. A great J attribute is its ability to negotiate weed and shallows and it is this characteristic that has boosted our membership, making Js the predominant class of yacht sailed at the Christchurch Model Yacht Club - the J Association's home club.

Another benefit is that within the basic parameters of the rules there is a great deal of freedom for the average builder to reflect ingenuity and skill, with the rigging, hatches, internal layout of components and deck layouts and composition.

Enjoy our site...

This site is still under construction. Please come again soon...
bob Atkinson rtd

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 03:48:48 PM »
After reading material on the J site i wonder how easy it would be for newbies to proceed and build
(The Canterbury J is a one-design yacht with rules that;

a) Govern the source of the glass hull and lead keel (to be from sanctioned molds),
b) prohibit exotic materials,
c) define a fixed minimum weight,
d) strictly control dimensions of the hull & three sizes of sail and rigs,
e) limit the control features to 2 channel radio control equipment.

The site does mention Controlled quite a few times ,if used as a entry level yacht would there still be the one builder of hulls ? Radio freq in the age of 2.4 is there still a need to control freq ?

bob Atkinson rtd

Offline vege_nz

• NZ Skipper
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
Basically the J is the same as an EC12 only smaller but with similar construction rules. Most of those currently sailing here in NZ have been home built by the owner or sold on to a newbie. Very few have been made by a 'commercial' builder. The idea of limiting the building materials is to keep the costs down as low as possible and the 'control' is to try and make them all as even as possible in all aspects. Emphasis is mainly on enjoyment with what has proven to be a well performing yacht.  8)