Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/radioyachting/www/kiwitalk/smf/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
entry level yachting

KiwiTalk

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: entry level yachting  (Read 12444 times)

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
  • Enjoy it To-day..Tomorow is a long way away.
    • http://nautic12.org
Re: entry level yachting
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 12:26:16 PM »
Greyhounds at the end of there competitive career,are often passed onto other homes.I do not think that approach would suite our sport !
For a new entry boat to have relevance it should be a One design yacht,simple in construction,and operation,have a regular sailing program and economic to buy and run.
Some exellent points have been raised so far.
unless otherwise stated views are my own.
bob Atkinson rtd

Offline IanHB

• Sailor
    • http://wryc.wellington.net.nz
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 02:18:36 PM »
If it is an entry level, one design class, you are looking for, then my best recommendation would be the "Micro Magic."
Firstly, they are a factory made kit which ensures that all are identical.
Then, the kitset is reasonably easy to construct so that those with the skill and motivation can assemble it themselves thereby ensuring a sense of ownership.
Prebuilt boats can be made available for those without the desire or skills to DIY.
Price is reasonable/affordable.
Used boats retain their resale value.
Sufficient latitude is made within the rule to allow tweeking by those with an interest, without upsetting the one design aspect of the class, or making stock boats obsolete.
Fleets throughout the world allow international competition for those who wish.
All the boats go the same speed, (one design racing)
Small size allows easy transport.
And so on and so on.......

The challenge of enticing new blood into the hobby has always been with us and I am afraid always will.
We are a minority sport, but the enthusiasm and drive of groups such as the Tauranga team are to be applauded and encouraged.
Some great ideas, keep up the good work.

Do it NOW, before it`s too late!

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 05:31:06 PM »
After all the replies,its looking like every one has there favourites model yacht,and perhaps One entry level boat may not be the answer,A club top heavy with Iom,s is hardly going to have an entry level R/m.And of course the same in reverse.
Is there a club that have club boats that can pass on there experience,or problems ?
bob Atkinson rtd

Offline grant

• Council
  • Sailor
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
A few years back NMMS acquired a couple of IOM hulls and I built the rigs and fitted them out as club boats.Great idea, but once again it is left to one individual to keep them up and running.After a while we sold them for a nice profit for the club.
Being a slow learner and a sucker for punishment we managed to acquire another hull off Carl Weatherall and yes the same sucker built it up and got it sailing.We still have that boat in the club and it was gifted to Jack Taylor a life member to use until he gives the sport away.
To cut a long story short yes it is handy having a club boat, but make sure to delegate the ongoing repairs amongst all the club members. :D :D :D :D :D

Offline neptune

• Council
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 06:08:51 PM »
That seems like an all to familiar story,so in reality are we doing anyone a favour having a ready made boat for some one to sail ?    putting your radio in some one Else's hand and saying have a go is looking real easy.
bob Atkinson rtd

Offline vege_nz

• NZ Skipper
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 09:13:56 PM »
Bob, I have sold 2 boats this year exactly doing that AND the club has 2 new members, both relatively young at that as well. :)